Duration and credits: 5 ECTS, 135 hours
Teaching Language: English
Level: Master (and Bachelor)
Course coordinator: Juha Kauppila, email@example.com
Responsible department: School of Educational Sciences and Psychology
- be familiar with the position and status of adult education as part of the Finnish education system, especially the significance of non-formal education in Finnish society
- be conversant with the tradition of non-formal education and the different forms of the manifestation of active citizenship in Finland and abroad
- be familiar with operations of institutions offering active citizenship and non-formal education
- be familiar with the concept of sustainable development in education
- understand how active citizenship and non-formal education contribute in sustainable development goals
Content: 1) Introduction to Finnish adult education, non-formal education and the concept of active citizenship.
2) Introduction to the concept of sustainable development and the role of active citizenship and non-formal education in promoting sustainable development
3) Students will familiarize themselves with the concepts of non-formal education and active citizenship in their own countries and culture. 4) Visitation program includes visits to institutions promoting, non-formal education and active citizenship that foster sustainable development.
Modes of study:
- Written assignments (6 pages) and other tasks in each module.
- Videomaterial, literature and other material in each module
- The Moodle platform is central for completing the course: there students will find all the course literature, instructions and submit their assignments.
- Instructions for completing the course provided in the "Start here – Instrctions" section
Teaching methods: Video-material, literature and other material in each module
Study materials: Students are provided with all necessary literature and instructions on completing the course in Moodle. Majority of the material will be either Open Access or accessibility will be guaranteed by other means.
Evaluation criteria: Learning tasks: pass/fail. Written assignments: 0-5
Teacher: Juha Kauppila (UEF)